Position: Music Director
Context and Background
St Paul’s Anglican Church is a parish of the Diocese of New Westminster of the Anglican Church of Canada serving the people of the West End and Yaletown in the city of Vancouver, British Columbia. The role of Music Director is to lead and creatively develop our music ministry for the benefit of existing and future members of the church.
The successful applicant will be joining the St Paul’s team at an exciting period as the parish looks to discern its future direction, following the appointment of a new Rector in March 2019. Our Music ministry is greatly valued as an important part of nurturing our existing church communities but also in developing greater diversity in our worship to better reflect and connect with our neighbourhoods. We are looking for someone who is comfortable incorporating traditional and more contemporary content and styles in a way that makes worship meaningful and seeks to bring musicians, singers, and the congregation closer to God.
We are looking to appoint a person of mature and open character, who is resilient and robust and has a good sense of humour. S/He/They should be an experienced and professional musician with a vision for music ministry in church, who can plan music that engages the whole congregation in worship.
Overview of the position
The Music Director reports to the Rector or Priest in charge and is responsible for:
- Musical support for Sunday celebrations of the Eucharist, services on other days of the week as needed, and major feast days throughout the liturgical year. This includes providing organ and other musical accompaniment, preparing and arranging choral support (as needed), and, on occasion, preparing and presenting other musical events throughout the year.
- Selecting hymns and other music consistent with liturgical requirements or the season of the year, in consultation with the clergy.
- Leading regular choir rehearsals and working with choir members to maintain a high standard of musical performance.
- Developing a recruitment strategy for new choir members and musicians, particularly from younger generations.
- Working with the Rector or Priest in Charge to develop greater diversity in our worship, including new services.
- Participating in regular staff meetings to plan, review, report, and support the parish’s programs and ministries.
Required Competencies and Qualities
- A master’s degree in music or a suitable combination of education and experience
- Maturity, tact, diplomacy, and good judgement.
- Possesses and demonstrates a suitable level of Christian faith and an enthusiasm for Christian formation and outreach through music.
- Ability to work collaboratively and communicate effectively.
- Proven excellence as an organist and skilled choir director and experience working with choirs and ensembles of all ages.
- Ability and demonstrated experience with different styles of worship music, both choral/traditional and more contemporary.
- Experience and aptitude in the recruitment of choristers and musicians
- Good understanding of Anglican ethos, liturgy, and musical repertoire, preferably with direct experience
Candidates should be prepared to provide two or three references from previous employers in a related context and setting.
A complete job description is available upon request.
This is a part-time position. The salary will be calculated on a total of 12 hours of work per week. Additional hours are possible in the context of occasional additional services or musical events, as described above. St. Paul’s Anglican Church is an inclusive and affirming church, committed to becoming more reflective of the neighbourhoods we seek to serve, including our staff team.
Please note that only applicants selected for an interview will be contacted.
Interested candidates with the above qualifications are invited to apply in writing, including a copy of their cv to: [email protected]. Application deadline: January 24, 2020.
Successful candidate must provide a Criminal Records Check with Vulnerable Sector Check.